Re: Daggerboard - or not?-TTT

Ted Duke (tduke@cfw.com)
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:41:19 -0400

Eric and gang,

Tried sailing my P19 on Pamilco sound off of Rodanthe this week. Tuesday was
too rough for me (I'm a novice and chicken -or cautious). Wednesday my son and
sister-in-law and I motored out several miles and attempted to sail but I
chickened out. "Whitecaps on the Pamlico" and although the wind was not
abusively strong, there were some VERY strong gusts, blowing the sailboards
over. Glad I had an IRON KEEL. We decided to call it off and try again later.
Got involved with family stuff so didn't go out until Thursday (with my
sister-in-law). Had a GREAT sail for an hour and a half under main alone and
then ran aground where there should have been PLENTY of water. Later when
talking to the Manager of a jetski rental operation while he was PRAISING my P19
I mentioned running aground and he said "Oh, you found the uncharted sandbar
where there should be plenty of water".

I am going to experiment with a previously suggested rubber bunge keel downhold
(allowing some upward movement) after my discovery of the uncharted sandbar.
Also going to experiment with a previously suggested bunge or spring to hold the
kickup keel down but allow it to "kick-up" because after the keel drug, the
rudder drug and popped off since it really can't kickup. GREAT FUN having the
keel in a sandpile and no rudder when the wind is BRISK! Interesting trying to
let the mainsail run, get the keel pin out, the keel up out of the sand, and
then the rudder reinstalled. My sister-in-law (very limited sailing experience
on a big boat as a "princess") kept asking "What can I do to help" and I kept
saying "Everything's okay, just hold on"., and only half believing myself. Oh
well, that's adventure.

Have considered going to a solid rudder as someone suggested this week, but
would NOT have been able to motor back in to shore without the rudder assisting
the motor on that day, and the rudder would have been too long nearer shore.

Based on my limited experience (P-19) I would NOT recommend removing the steel
centerboard. It works well when you need it. How much speed could you gain?

IMHO NOT enough to risk changing your TTT (turn-turtle-tolerance)! Having
rolled my P19 to about 80 degrees on one occasion lasy year when confronted with
a 90 degree wind change and increase from about 3 to 20 kts in seconds and been
very impressed with the TTT I couldn't recommend changing anything. She
refused to TURTLE. I don't want to try it again, but I have greater confidence
in her "heavy bottom", but then I'm a novice and maybe others like to sail
closer to the edge, edg, ed, e e e e e e e SPLASH. <BG>

Ted Duke
tduke@cfw,com
WWP19 #626

Hey all, I finally read Larry Brown's books on trailer sailing, and he