Fwd: anchor lights - synopsis

GSTahoe@aol.com
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:24:30 EDT

--part0_903054271_boundary

In a message dated 8/11/98 7:14:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time, gwelker@erols.com
writes:

<< >>

Greg,

It was the Guest light that I was thinking of when I wrote earlier. You will
be amazed at how long the battery lasts. Remember, the Potter can anchor
really close to shore and/or out of the way. Since an anchor light is just an
extra precaution, not a requirement for the Potter, it functions just fine.
As I also had mentioned earlier, be certain to make sure your lines are taught
or the banging of the light against the mast in even the smallest chop will
drive you bozonkers. It is enough light to be seen by approaching vessels,
even in inclimate weather, yet not so bright that it detracts from the
"sleeping on the water" experience.

As far as cabin lights go, you don't need flammable liquid burning in your
cabin. I have found some little lights that take four AA batteries and put up
two overhead in the cabin and they are fine for reading, etc. They are like
little domes that you just hit the dome part to turn on. I just put them up
with the sticky Velcro patches you can get at any hardware store. The
batteries don't last long, perhaps two or three nights of use, but it's easy
enough to pack spares. They look nice, give sufficient light and cost
probably less than ten bucks for both of them.

With the battery operated anchor light, cabin lights and clip-on navigation
lights, I've never even been tempted to deal with a heavy battery, wiring and
plugging my boat into a charger between uses. I also keep aboard a "D" cell
"sports" boom box for entertainment, a rechargeable VHF and battery operated
cell phone. All the comforts and safety of home without a 10 pound, acid-
dripping, rechargeable battery. The only thing I use flammable fuel for is
the barbecue. I haven't found a battery operated barbecue yet.

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
No. Lake Tahoe, NV

--part0_903054271_boundary