Re: P14 Heeling

Lee Page (megjac@prodigy.net)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:00:43 -0700

Hi Doug.
Like you I keep our P15 in the 10 to 15 degree range, and preferably 10 or
below.
"A Potter sails best on her feet.", the saying goes. I suspect that's true
of all hard chined boats. Typically they are initially stiffer than their
round bottom cousins, but there comes a point beyond which there is no
return. I suspect that is what your are asking - at what angle of heel will
she go on over and lay on her side (or worse). I offer the following story
- not to be emulated...

One day afternoon sailing with the pod on the Petaluma River the wind
freshened (a lot) and became guite gusty. I came around too quickly from a
broad reach into a close reach, broached and got hit by a gust at the same
time and suddenly had my port rail under water. It was a horrifying sight -
I mean like water was pouring over the rail into the cokpit! I "went for
the high rail", "eased the main sheet" (boy that's an understatement). Lo
and behold, she responded. I sailed to the bank, dropped sail and bailed
out about half a foot well of water.

Frankly, I was amazed the boat recovered - and I don't want to push the
envelope that far ever again - but she did revover. I don't know what was
the angle of heel, but you can look at your boat and figure out at what
angle would the length of the rail be buried.

The capsizing and safety issues aside, the other issue is where does the
Potter sail best, that is where are her best sailing lines, and the
consensus seems to be around 10 or 15 degrees, or "on her feet". Beyond
that I think she begins to drag water and go not faster but less
comfortably. Hope this helps.

Lee Page in Sacramento, CA
WWP #602, "Archaeopteryx"

---------