Re: P14 Heeling

RSKARAM@aol.com
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:25:03 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/98 4:11:00 AM, djones@turbotek.net writes:

>When I sail my Potter close hauled, I always get scared at around 15 degrees
>of heel and try to fall off. Am I being overly cautious? I have sailed
>a number of rounded bottomed boats that never seem to go over (barring
>a wave and a gust) but I'm not familiar with the more flat bottomed Potter.
> I love to hear any "heeling" stories.

Dear Doug:
Being one of the guys who rather stupidly turned turtle in his P-15, I would
suggest that the degree of heel is not as important as keeping your weight low
in the boat. A very small amount of heel can be a big problem if you are
standing up in the boat. Everyone in the Web gang seems to have an
understanding of physics (I flunked the course back in 1954) but my seat of
the pant sailing experience is that when sailing a 15 foot dinghy, you better
not stand up in the boat. I suspect that my advice is worth 5 degrees of heel.
Nonetheless, like you I get goosey at about 15 degrees.
Richard S. Karam
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Former P-15 sailor w/ seller's remorse