Re: Heel! Heel!

Lars S. Mulford (mulford@bellatlantic.net)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:59:12 -0400

--------------DF70079A6B8E0779DDC98952

Doug Jones wrote:

> this strange desire to put my poor Potter to its limits, so I plan to
> intentionaly capsize it. (In fresh water, without the engine, etc.)

Doug & Web Gang:

I can give you some first hand knowledge of doing this test, but in the
salt water of Rehoboth Bay. A former P15 owner was sailing along in
Rehoboth Bay when something happened (we were never able to determine
just what) that caused his centerboard to jump off the pin and jam into
the trunk. To make a long story short, my buddy Brett and I went to
assist and we ended up having to pin the boat on it's side to try to
work the centerboard out. In the interest of validity, the centerboard
had originally jammed in while fully down. While I worked to get the
centerboard out, Brett held the mast down as best he could to keep the
boat pinned on it's side. Some water entered the cockpit but none
entered the cabin. At least three times Brett relaxed a bit and tried
to use one hand to keep the boat pinned down and the P15 would rush to
right itself, which it did every time, even when pinned completely on
it's side. (This could be construed partially as a lesson in making
sure your centerboard is down and locked down in some fashion.) After
quite some doing, I was able to get the centerboard free and we brought
everything back to the launching area.

--
"Sea" ya!

--Lars S. Mulford, President East Coast Potter Association (ECPA) Come visit us at http://members.tripod.com/~SpeedSailor "Forgive, and live. Life is worth the challenge of living." --LSSM