Catalina 22 Capsize - models/trailerability

SolarFry@aol.com
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:20:14 EDT

<< Subj: RE: Capsize
Date: 98-08-27 11:54:06 EDT
From: ej@blarg.net (Eric Johnson)
To: SolarFry@aol.com, brinefly@soft-link.com
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com

> TV and newspapers here in Salt Lake City carried a brief xtory about
> someone capsizing in Gresat Salt Lake and spending the night in the water
> in a life jacket until he was finally rescued. From pictures
> taken from a
> search plane the capsized boat looked like a 19-foot Potter.....but the
> news media never reported any details.....anyone know if it was
> a Potter? >>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> It was a Catalina 22. They raised sails without lowering keel. Managed to
> sail out of harbor and get knocked down a ways from the dock. Filled with
> water and laid flat. I think there was a drowning... I read it
> in Catalina-list@sailnet.com some time ago...
>
> LOWER that KEEL !

I thought catalina 22s had fixed ballast in the short keel and only a
lightweight centerboard that retracted?

From: B de Ment
To: ej@blarg.net, SolarFry, brinefly@soft-link.com
CC: wwpotter@tscnet.com

In a message dated 8/27/98 10:02:16 AM Mountain Daylight Time, ej@blarg.net
writes:

<< I thought catalina 22s had fixed ballast in the short keel and only a
lightweight centerboard that retracted? >>

Nope, the 'swing keel' models have a pivoting weighted keel that is attached
outside the hull <no CB trunk in the cabin>. This gives them some righting
moment even with the keel 'up'. They also made a fixed keel model and I
believe still make the 'wing' keel model with nearly the same draft as the
'swing keel' when 'up'.

Bill de Ment P-19 #779 'Wind Shadow'
Eagle, Idaho

Catalina 22's come with fixed keel, fixed wing keel (short draft) and weighted
centerboard (swing keel). The one that flipped was a trailerable model with
the weighted centerboard that acts as a swing keel similar to P15. They do not
have fixed ballast inside the hull. The only short keel is the wing keel.

I seriously examined and checked out several Cat 22s before I decided on the
Potter... The mast is larger (25')and heavier (50lbs. approx) than P19. The
weighted centerboard (swing keel or sk) is a pain to deal with as it protrudes
under the boat while trailering. To accomodate sk, (depending on yr mfg.) they
moved/lifted floor to one side to provide a small well for sk pivot pin under
one berth or under dinette. In sk models with dinette, the dinette floor is
lifted to accept the sk pivot pin/bolt. This makes It look like sk does not
intrude into cabin sole. You open a hatch to access pivot pin for swing keel
under dinette. It still reduces headroom to less than a P19. If you check
fixed keel and sk models you will notice quite a difference. The fixed keel
model is a lot more spacious inside... The floor is much lower and there is
more headroom...

She is a very nice vessel with fixed wing keel and tall masthead rig, but only
if you keep permanently in water. Quite a fast little sailer due to longer
water line and large sail plan. All Catalina models are a bear to haul out
onto a trailer... I guess if you made the waterline of a P19 20' it would be a
lot faster...

SF
BTW: The Potter is the easiest sailboat to launch, retrieve and trailer I've
ever seen...