Re: Topping lift & main reefing - NO!

SolarFry@aol.com
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:46:08 EDT

<< Subj: RE: Topping lift & main reefing - NO!
Date: 98-08-28 12:48:20 EDT
From: ej@blarg.net (Eric Johnson)
To: SolarFry@aol.com, wwpotter@tscnet.com
> I've read that an adjustable topping lift can also be used to
> "scandalize"
> the main by lifting the boom and spilling air under heavy wind
> conditions
> but I've never tried that myself.
>
> This is the way capsizes usually happen. The sail fills and
> lifts the boom
> pulling the top of the mast over and under thus knocking the boat
> on its side.
> Don't try this gimmick downwind or on a broad reach or you might force a
> knockdown and get very wet....

Can you elaborate on this? This doesn't make a whole lot off sense to me,
but sounds like something I need to know!

You move the center of effort on mast to top of mast. Putting pressure higher
on mast may force boat to bury the coamings fill with water and lay on its
side.. I have experienced 2 knockdowns where the boom lifted full of air and
dragged the mast over... It happens suddenly without warning. I now have a
boom vang in every
sailboat I have. Won't sail without one....

On the Sovereign, I fell asleep on a run. A sudden gust woke me up and I
watched the boom rise about 10'. Then the mainsheet stopped it, The mast and
boom went over into the water. I was stunned at first but woke up soon enough
to climb up the high side and fall on the CB.

Let me check Royce's... Can't find it... But, one of the sailing books has a
cartoon showing what happens when the boom goes up with the sail full of
air...

SF