P19 Lee helm

Gail & Tom Hill (tgvhill@jersey.net)
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 11:33:02 -0500

Friend,

Lee helm or weather helm is caused by the relationship between the
COE (Center of Effort-the position of the sum of all the lift and drag forces
produced by the sails) and the CLR(Center of Lateral Resistence-the equivalent
position of all forces produced by the hull and its appendages). If the COE is
ahead of the CLR, the boat will tend to go to lee, if the CLR is ahead of the COE,
the boat will tend to point into the wind (like a wind indicator). If you have
trouble getting a feel for this, try to exaggerate it to it's exteme-ie what if the
COE is at the bow, and the CLR is at the stern.

We just returned from sailing at Alleghany Reservoir in northwestern Penna
where the winds are inconsistent and gusty-I noted variations between none
up to 20 mph in a few minutes. I have not put the jib downhaul back on the
jib, so when I solo sailed with the main only, the boat tended to point to
windward when the helm was unattended. Actually it would oscillate about
20 degrees on either side of ther wind if I had the main sheeted in and had my
hands off the tiller. With the CLR ahead of the COE (remember-mainsail
only), you can see why the boat would point into the wind.

On a P19, the I know of two ways to adjust the COE/CLR relationship is to
change the area of the repective sails (reefing or putting on a larger/smaller
jib), or by adjusting the stay length so the mast leans more towards the bow or
stern, hence shifting the COE. If the boat has a swing keel (like a P15), a third
way is to adjust the CLR to the stern by pulling the keel up partway.

Hope this helps,

Tom Hill
1989 P19 #511