Re: Electric motor

SolarFry@aol.com
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:42:21 EDT

Jobst:

You do not clutter up the list... Data you have supplied is very important to
us...

I agree that it is difficult to examine Electric motors power based on the lit
being provided by marketing corps...

Your reply (below) more than answers my question of whether 52lb thrust would
be adequate for lake or bay use... Your Compaq 19 at 2000# dry and 2500# wet
is a much heavier boat than a Potter 19 at 1300# dry and 1700# wet. I am
convinced that a 52lb thrust electric is adequater for local use excluding
windy and ocean conditions... Your message, quoted below, kind of confirms
it...

" Electric motors are very good for slow runs with minimal wind or current. I
use a 47 pound thrust motor on my Com-Pac 19 (2,500 lbs cruising
displacement) almost all the time. The exception is when the Mississippi
River currents get high during the spring floods or when I have to cover long
distances. Outside of those cases, I find the electric motor to be better
than a gas engine."

IMHO: the advantages of electric power are:
Non water polluting... They do not leave an oil line on the stern of the
boat...
Quiet...
Single handle FNR
I don't have to carry a fuel tank in the cockpit...

I would be using the electric for sailing in the lake one canal over and for
cruising the local canals... Not for reaching the inlet (3.5miles) or
exiting/entering the inlet... The only problem remaining is that if I don't
use the motor enough it will get arthereosclerosis and will require repeated
carb repairs...

Your contribution is appreciated.

Solar Fry
P19#1028, "Elusive"