RE: Stays

Clair&Edgar (N1122@mail.aai.arco.com)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:44:46 -0900

I would be interested in a trip up the inside passage into B.C. in about
two years. I have to admit though, only on the East Side of Vancouver and
not North of Vancouver. The P19 is a good basic platform for fair-weather
sailing and can take on more aggressive adventures if properly modified /
reinforced. We will be finished with our reinforcements after this next
winter, but would still stay to the more "protected" waters of the North
Sound/Inland Passage. The Pacific Ocean (West Side of Vancouver) and Gulf
of Alaska, I feel would take more of a blue water type vessel. Pacific
Seacraft Dana 24, and/or similar, bigger. Friends of mine who have sailed
from Seattle to Alaska have stayed out and away from land (several miles).
Closer to shore the swells can get very dangerous in the shallow and rocky
waters of the exposed coastline. Next year we would like to take our P19 up
to the Northern end of Ross Lake and enter from the only boat ramp on the
on the lake which is on the Canadian side. Sail down the 40 mile long lake
to one of the boat-in wilderness campsites on the United States side. This
area is very remote and access is regulated from the Marblemount and
Winthrop, WA ranger stations. Access permits are given out to a limited
number of people on a case by case basis and only 24 hours in advance of
use, with no reservations. There are about a dozen boat-in campsites with
nice docks. Each site will accommodate 2 to 3 boats max. When I went the
last time, we stayed on an Island about 5 acres in size, the dock
accommodated two 19 foot boats nicely, the camps were about 100 yds. apart
on the Island. The rangers motored by each day to check the license numbers
on the boats to make sure we were permitted. Any interested parties? For
August, September 1999? Celebrate the coming Millennium with a potter
wilderness adventure! late August to Early September are the best weeks to
go, fairly dry, mild days, cool nights, nice afternoon winds (1:00 PM) you
can set your watch by. I made the trip a three summers ago by canoe, spent
6 days in the area. Ross lake is a deep lake, no keel problems, as well as
Remote and Beautiful.

Regards,

John & Terrie
P19 Sassea, # 950