RE: Tuning shrouds

Clair&Edgar (N1122@mail.aai.arco.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:24:05 -0900

I would have to agree with Eric, it is the overall effective length of the
stay assembly that is critical, eliminating all of the accumulation of
tolerance within the individual components. I measure the length of the
stay from pin to pin. I would also have to disagree with the opinion that
visible slack is acceptable on the lee side stay under windward side stay
load. As you tack back and forth, an initially higher surge load develops
on the slack stay as it moves from slack to tension and this can be quite
high, possibly to the point of catastrophic failure under the right
conditions. Any type of tension based support system requires that the
tension loads remain as uniform as possible as the direction of load shifts
from side to side. Surge loads are bad news in wire rope/cable systems.
Not to take away, mind you, from SIR Solarfry's obvious talent for the
technical side of life! I find myself in full agreement of his opinions
most of the time! : - )

Regards,

John & Terrie
P19 Sassea, #950