Re: plans -Reply

Steven W. Barnes (Oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:07:47 -0700

Thomas Grimes wrote:

> DUDE
>
> A friend of mine, Larry Appelbaum of larry@webhappy.com , built a Nancy's China. He did a really beautiful job--it has a white hull with everything above the gunnels bright finished. He made it gaff rigged, and it has a tanbark sail. It sails well, and with the gaff sail and tanbark color it is very distinctive. He built it in two years and he says that it cost him $6000 to build.

Tom,

I'm glad you told me the $6,000 part. I have heard that you don't save
money by building your own boat. You just get the boat you want, new,
with a thorough knowledge of it's construction strengths and weaknesses.

I really like some of the larger Devlin designs. Arctic Tern at 23' and
it's variants, or the Kestrel at 26'. The idea would be to build the
largest, hard chined (Potter) cruising sailboat that I could,
diagonally, in my garage, for post retirement Left Coastal cruising.
But the time... , not to mention the money. Perhaps just buy a decent,
used, Catalina 27' for $6,000. There are always half a dozen on the
market in San Diego. Later!

--
OLDSURFDUDE