Re: Shore Power

Steve Allman (sjallman@juno.com)
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 21:31:32 -0500

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:43:03 -0600 "Fauver, James"
<JamesF@bayarchitects.com> writes:
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Are there any potters out there that keep their boat in the water, and
>have "shore power" available, that use it?
>
>I am interested in keeping a fan or heater (or fan / heater) aboard to
>combat condensation.

We were out last Thursday on the Buccaneer 24 for our last sail of the
season in Lake Erie and we experimented with a cheap solar panel that I
purchased from Harbor Freight Tools for $19.99 who was also offering free
shipping. The darned little panel is putting out enough miliamps to run
a cheapy auto fan, you know the ones with the suction cup base. So my
thinking is to somehow rig one of these cheap auto fans available at Pep
Boys or Murray's Auto into the anchor storage area on a P-19 with the air
scoop still in and when the sun shines, you have limited but perhaps
adequate ventilation.

Has anyone else out there done something like this?

Steve (Sparky)

I have visions of getting a call from the
>sheriff
>at 3:00 A.M., asking me how I could be so negligent that I could "burn
>down" every boat at the dock.
>
>Most boats on my dock don't have "real" shore power connections, they
>just run an extension cord under a hatch. This is what I am
>considering, but I don't know what kind of fan / heater to use. This
>fan would also help evaporate any rain water that finds it's way
>inside.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>1. It has to be SAFE
>2. It has to be CHEAP
>3. I would rather not drill holes in my boat
>
>James Fauver
>P19 Southern Star
>Lake Conroe, Texas

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]