Fwd: Potter Quality: HMS vs International Marine...

GSTahoe@aol.com
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:02:09 EST

--part0_910148532_boundary

Hi, all!

Please let me reiterate. I was speaking only of the P-15. Based on
discussions here and on other forums (such as talking to the skippers
directly), there are lot's of differences between the strengths and weaknesses
of the P-15 and P-19 for any given period. Do not base your conclusions of
one model or one particular year upon what anyone has said about another model
or another year.

Also, don't put too much weight on anything that is said, including this!
Dollar for dollar, the Potter is absolutely one of the best boating deals
available no matter what model you're talking about. Each has it's pluses and
minuses. There are differences between a lifting daggerboard and a swing
keel, there are differences between a boat with batteries and a boat without
and there's differences between the different rigging arrangements, everywhere
from junk rigs to the more conventional rigs.

Some people cannot stand using the porta-potty on the 15, some claim the 19
has leaky windows and daggerboard trunk. None of these things are a big deal.
They are just idiosycracies of boats. This forum gives us tons of ideas of
how we can make our boats more comfortable and safe.

I have yet to meet a Potter owner, or even an ex-Potter owner, who does not
have a warm, fuzzy feeling about his or her boat.

Also, since we are trailer-sailors, the trailer becomes a separate, yet very
important, part of the Potter system. There is probably no trailer-sailor,
Potterer or otherwise, that does not have a love/hate relationship with this
piece of necessary and finicky machinery. Anything with moving parts and 12
volt electronics that is normally left outside for years and periodically
dunked in salt water is going to be a pain in the butt. Somehow tracing
shorts in the trailer wiring doesn't seem like, "working on the boat."

If you are looking at or considering becoming a Potterer and are concerned
about any of the discussions on this forum or anything I have said, attend a
Potter sail. You'll never meet a group of prouder boat owners.

So there! :-)

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
No. Lake Tahoe, NV

PS. Are we getting any closer to summer yet?

--part0_910148532_boundary