Re: List

SolarFry@aol.com
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 16:08:13 EST

I have no qualms about using keys provided... I even believe there is a time
when a little SNIP can save us a lot of time...

Others complain about order and even inclusion of old info on messages...

I do agree we should place our replies on top and leave the old message
below... I do not think we should delete the relevant portions of old message
as Columbia-list@sailnet.com does... We lose too much...

Best
SF

In a message ej@tx3.com (Eric Johnson) writeS:

<SNIP>

> Then...
> Maybe...
> We should put the replies on top and leave the old stuff below...
> That way
> you see the reply first and can refer to the old stuff if need be...
>
> Sorta like i've done here...

Since you brought it up... thats another pet peeve of mine :) Since we both
agree a little context is handy to have to plant yourself at a specific
point in the message thread, reading top-down is by far easier, and the
de-facto standard for internet mailing lists for at least a decade
(regardless of whatever the AOL standard is). We're not going to change
that. Adding to the bottom helps the flow, and anything else makes digests
almost unreadable, especially if some folks are using one method and others
are using the other.

Really, arrow keys, shift button, and 'delete' are pretty easy to use :)
Spending 5 seconds using them when you post a message saves a hundred times
that for the list as a whole when the message is multiplied to all the list
members.