Fwd: Fresh to Salt Water

GSTahoe@aol.com
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:18:35 EST

--part0_911146715_boundary

Jerry,

I apologize to you that you got two copies of this letter. After sending it,
I realized that others could use the information, so I have resent it to the
list, which will cause you to get another copy. Sorry.

Geoff

--part0_911146715_boundary

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
To: atjerrys@hcnews.com
Subject: Re: Fresh to Salt Water
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:15:25 EST

Jerry,

I can't tell you about salt water or lifts, as my Potter has never seen
either, but I can tell you a lot about cockpit drain plugs. I have done
extensive research in this department. Use a wine cork.

Just about any cork will do, but I find that the corks that come on Harvey's
Bristol Creme to be the very best. That's because they have cool plastic caps
that make them look and feel like cockpit drain plugs. I would advise against
using those plastic things that plug boxes of wine. As a matter-of-fact, I
would advise against using boxes of wine all together. Except they do pack
pretty nicely!

Another suggestion would be to use two. One from the outside and one from the
inside. Some of the older Potters seem to occasionally have a problem with
the plastic or nylon sleeve that goes through the transom cracking or leaking
after a period of time. This has been discussed here many times. This can
allow water to get into the bilge. The possibility of water getting in is
eliminated if you use two. Chances are the only time you will need to remove
the plug is when you are cleaning the cockpit. I seem to get a small amount
of water in the cockpit when I am climbing in and out of the boat all day.
This small amount of water is easier to clean with a sponge.

I am not certain about the 19, as I sail a 15, but with the 15 if you have an
exceptionally heavy crew the weight in the cockpit can push the drain below
water level and cause you to take on a small amount of water. Again, with a
plug on the outside and inside water will not get in.

Always carry spare cockpit drain plugs. Not that you'd ever need to use them,
but the bottles of wine they come attached to come in quite handy during a
sunset barbecue in a remote and peaceful bay.

Enjoy your new (to you) boat!

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
No. Lake Tahoe, NV