Re: Baja

Dik Richardson (dik@aeroair.net)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 11:17:23 -0800

-------------------------------snip----------------------------------

>So, if the man in question
>("I'd rather be in Baja") could possibly give up some experince about sailing
>to, around, and anchoring at those islands, that might be helpful, I would be
>greatful. Thanks in advance.
>PS- I just got a reef point put in for about $75 from a sail maker in
Ventura.

Yeah . . . . I'm here lurking in the background as usual. I'm glad to see
another believer, L.A. Bay is the best cruising area I know of. Puerto Don
Juan is a really great little cove to anchor in, Bathtub Cove, inside Don
Juan is a fun place to go. There was a Govt Fisheries boat on the hard in
Bathtub the last time I was there, pretty well stripped out, and the local
fishermen were using it to store extra fuel tanks while they were out
fishing. I think my favorite though, is the East cove on Isla Coronado,
being out on the edge of the Ballena channel, it has an entirely different
selection of underwater flora and fauna, if you swim there, it's like
swimming in an aquarium. Directly accross from the East Cove, on La
Guardia, is Isla Ton, a perfect little cove to anchor and explore. Up on
the northern end of La Guardia, in the El Refugio area, there are many,
many fine little anchorages and beaches to take a Potter, in fact, I think
the Potters are probably the ideal boats for cruising in this part of the
world.
The great thing about this area is that all these remote little coves and
anchorages are all within 20 miles of the Pueblo of Bahia de los Angeles,
secure parking at Guillermos' three ramps to choose from (the ones at
Diazs' and Guillermos' due have overhead wires to watch for at the ramp
though, but that ain't a problem, drive under them, then rig the boat).
Another great feature down there is the fact that when you anchor/beach in
one of these places, you never see another boat . . . . might as well be on
the moon. But even then, if you need help, there is always someone close
by to answer your calls on the VHF.

Any specific questions, or if you just want to talk about Baja, don't
hesitate to give me a holler . . .

Dik Richardson "I'd rather be in Baja"
HMS 18 #11 "Hamada"
Ranger 29 #60 "los Barbas"