Re: Manatee Rams & Electric Motor

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:55:27 -0800

HandyM2@aol.com wrote:

> I am pleased to hear such success in the Trolling Motor issue. I wondered if
> the P19 would be that much more difficult to power than your P14. Weight is
> not a real issue except to stop the mass once started. Resistance to water
> would seem to be the issue aside from heavy winds acting on the
> superstructure.
>
> Opinions? Thoughts?? BTW I am planning 4 deep cycle batterys @ 105 AMP hours
> each.

I have no connection with Sam Devlin, but one of his designs
incorporates an electric motor. The website description says:

"NANCY'S CHINA DC

In this new version of our old favorite, Nancy's China goes topless, and
if you take a
closer look at the rudder you will see her auxiliary power plant. We
have added an
electric motor. The motor is a 43 pound thrust electric, powered by two
8D
deep-cycle 12 volt DC batteries. With three forward and three reverse
speeds
available, Nancy's China DC cruises at 4 knots for approximately 14
hours. There is a
built-in 20 amp battery charger that will completely recharge the
batteries. Just hook
it up to household current at home, or on the dock, and you are ready to
go again.
The batteries at 143 1bs. each also serve as ballast.

She is equipped with an amp-hour meter to measure battery draw, as well
as a 50" x
15" solar panel to keep the batteries topped off when the boat is on a
mooring.

The sailing performance is still great with the 124 square feet of sail
area set on a
fractional sloop rig. If you are looking for a little more performance
off the wind, an
optional removable carbon fiber bowsprit is available to set a 160
square foot
asymmetrical spinnaker. Performance and ease of use have always been the
hallmark of the Nancy's China and with the additions to the DC we have
only
improved a wonderful boat."

I suppose if you wanted to spend $15 for the study plans, it might be
worth seeing what they have to say about the electric motor and
batteries. Since they are selling these plans, as well as building the
boats, commercially, they probably have put some serious "engineering"
thought into the matter. One of these days, I may get those study
plans, myself.

http://www.devlinboat.com/

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.
"Everything is everything!"
OLDSURFDUDE