Re: Low Tech (knotmeters in particular)

GSTahoe@aol.com
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:15:34 EST

In a message dated 11/24/98 10:45:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Andrew.Krumpe@NeslabInstruments.com writes:

> What I'm using now to determine velocity is a table I created which
> correlates the time it takes for a floating object (wood, seaweed,
> bubble) to pass from the bow to the stern. One counts the seconds it
> takes, and looks up on the table to see speed in knots

Andrew,

This is clever. It is also the original way of measuring boat speed. Before
instruments, a measuring line with knots tied in it as specific intervals
would be allowed to run along side the craft. A floating object would be
timed as it passed the knots, the knots counted and thus "knots per hour"
could be determined.

That is a real general description of the first knot meters, perhaps someone
else can elaborate.

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV