Copy of: Re: My kingdom for a shear pin!

Bill Zeitler (WZeitler@compuserve.com)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:08:58 -0500

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: Bill Zeitler, 74211,1362
TO: "Larry Longerbeam", INTERNET:82438@msn.com
DATE: 11/26/98 9:05 AM

RE: Copy of: Re: My kingdom for a shear pin!

>Since the reved-up engagement when shifting into forward is what causes
the
>pin to shear, starting the motor in gear, when possible, removes that
>problem. Starting and stopping the motor in gear should not harm the
motor
>since that is what one does with the shiftless 2.5 h.p.

Don't try that with a HONDA 5 HP/ 4 cycle. Speaking from
_experience_(!).... as I drifted towards some rocks after killing the
engine in gear. This engine has an override such that if you kill it in
gear you then ( usually ] can't restart the engine [ in gear ]...nor can
you even move the F-N-R gear lever back to neutral and for start.

You must then remove the power head cover and start the in-gear engine
with the emergency rope starter wrapped around the drive flywheel. This
method bypasses the override. The manual does not go into this "
interesting " situation in any explicit way.

Bill Zeitler
Delaware