Re: OB Failure - What to do immediately? (Was Shear Pin Failures)

Barry (Barry@bmhall.libertynet.co.uk)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:07:19 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_00B6_01BE1B99.324E6FA0

J.J.

I discovered, the hard way, that my shear pin would not break when I =
failed to idle the 3.5 Tohatsu prior to shifting from neutral to =
forward. It would fail when I attempted to start the o/b the next time. =
It took 8 shear pin failures for me to learn the lesson to completely =
idle the o/b before shifting from neutral. =20

The weakened shear pin would function well enough to allow me to exit =
from the launch ramp. It would fail when I attempted to start the motor =
for my return to the ramp (or if later needed during my trip). Just =
when I most needed the motor, I would have to anchor and replace the =
shear pin.

Since my discovery, I have replaced shear pins only when someone else =
starts my o/b. =20

Barry Hall
P15 Wannabe (on the hard in GA)

=20