Re: Low Tech (knotmeters in particular)

GSTahoe@aol.com
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 23:18:17 EST

In a message dated 12/4/98 5:47:41 PM Pacific Standard Time, rdjoffe@erols.com
writes:

> Where exactly did you mount the impeller? I've thinking of
> getting one of those Speedmates, but I don't know where to mount it. It
> would have to be clear of the bunks on the trailer. It could interfere
with
> beaching the boat. I also have a P-15.

Richard,

I had the same concerns. That is why I purchased the Speedmate with the
trailing wire impeller rather than the bottom mounted unit. It works fine.
Granted, it is one more thing to do, throw the impeller out when you leave
shore and bring it in before you return, but I don't find it too inconvenient
and the device is incredibly accurate. I run the impeller wire through my
boarding steps which keeps it away from the motor and eliminates any
possibility of it getting caught in the motor, which has never happened.

One other thing I have found, is that if I let the impeller drag on the bottom
it picks up little itty, bitty pieces of a metallic or iron substance, perhaps
iron pyrite, from the bottom of the lake. When that happens, the read out
becomes noticeably inaccurate until I pull it in and wipe off the impeller. I
will notice it when I am motoring and all the sudden my speed starts reading 1
or 2 knots when I know that under power I move at a pretty consistent 4.5
knots. No big deal. I usually notice it right away. I've gotten pretty good
at pulling it in before it can hit the bottom anyway. The little impeller
unit is pretty strongly magnetic. I imagine that if I had the bottom mounted
impeller, this would not be so easy to rectify under way. Since all my
boating is on Lake Tahoe, I do not know if this magnetic substance on the
bottom would be on the ocean bottom or the bottom of other lakes.

I am extremely happy with the unit. It seems to be more accurate and precise
for speed and distance than a GPS.

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
No. Lake Tahoe, NV

PS-It was ten above when I left home this morning. Right now it is about 8:15
PM and 15 degrees outside. So much for sailing this year!