Re: Down haul on p15

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:12:25 -0800

Subject: Re: Down haul on p15
Author: DAVID KAUTZ at HP-Sunnyvale,om5
Date: 12/14/98 5:42 PM

Bill,

When I bought my P-15 it had the horn cleat on sail groove that has
been described to you already - It was loose and there was an extra
pair of holes implying that it had already stripped out once, so I
made the following modification:

I put an eystrap ($1.00) on the left side of the sail groove and a
Ronstan V-cleat w/ integral fairlead ($5.00) on the right side of the
groove. Both of these items are at about the same height on the mast
as the original horn cleat (roughly 8 inches above the cabin top). A
piece of line is tied to the eyestrap, run through the eye on the gooseneck

and secured at the V-cleat. This seems to me to be more secure and it also
gives some mechanical advantage when tightening the downhaul. Since making
the original modification, I have put a spare swivel block I had on the eye

of the gooseneck which seemed to be chewing up the line a bit. But scraps
of line are cheaper than blocks, so if you didn't have one laying around, I

wouldn't worry about it.

The V-cleat is very quick and easy to use so making luff tension
adjustments while underway are now much simpler, if you're inclined to do
so.

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 "Tilly Lucy"