Re: Around alone/Long distance sailing formerly " From Geoff "

GSTahoe@aol.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 23:16:11 EST

In a message dated 12/18/98 5:57:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, SolarFry@aol.com
writes:

> BTW: Must be very pretty and cold up in Lake Tahoe/Reno area. Bet you are
> becoming a skiing/snowmobiling fool... Watch out for those avalanches.

Hi, SF,

Went skiing today. I rode up on the chairlift with a friend who is also a
sailor. Talked about sailing all the way up the mountain! It was a gorgeous
day. It may be the last of them for a while.

They are predicting record setting cold for the rest of the holiday time.
Tomorrow the HIGH will be around twenty. After that it's going to get colder.
They are predicting highs around zero to five above and lows in the fifteen to
twenty below neighborhood. It doesn't usually get that cold at Tahoe,
although I have been through it before. At that temperature water pipes
freeze solid, sewer lines freeze solid. Cars won't start, if you can get in
them, because the locks freeze solid. If you get mad at something and hit it,
it shatters. If you have a hard time getting in your car and pull too hard on
the door, the rubber weather stripping shatters. My dogs doggy door freezes
shut, the windows of the house, even though they are double pane insulated
glass, will be covered with a layer of ice on the inside from the cold going
through and the humidity in the house freezing to the glass. Nothing can
survive for very long outside in that kind of cold.

Living in the mountains is like slamming your hand in the car door and then
finally opening the door. It feels so good in the spring that it makes it all
seem worthwhile. I haven't seen a boat on the lake for two months now. It
will be March before the spring thaw begins. I'm ready. Yes, this is
avalanche territory. The roads in and out of town are usually closed several
days a year because of snow slides. Hopefully I've rented some good movies.
Tonight I'm going to watch "Wag the Dog." Appropriate, huh?

Later,

Geoff