Re: More Wiring for Dummies...

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:28:55 -0800

Judy et al,

I'm not an expert in these regulations, but I think there are a couple
errors in your assumptions:

Rule 25d - The flashlight illuminating the sail only applies to a
sailboat under sail only. As soon as you start the outboard, you need
the running lights, the stern light and the steaming light no matter
how small the boat.

Masthead lights: The ones discussed as an alternative to running
lights for boats under 12 meters are three sectored lights having
green, red and white sectors oriented similarly to seperate running
lights. This is NOT the same as a masthead anchor light which is white
all the way around. It is possible to buy a masthead unit that has
both, but you need to wire two circuits in the mast (they could share
the return, I suppose)

Now a question: My friends who are cruising in their 50 footer say
that the light that you really WANT to have is a masthead strobe. This
light was also mentioned in _Alone Against the Atlantic_ by Gerry
Spiess. He had one on the masthead of his 10 1/2 ft "Yankee Girl" in
which he crossed the Atlantic. These lights are not referred to in any
of the Sailing/Piloting books I have - Does anyone know what the
regulations are regarding their use?

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 "Tilly Lucy"
Palo Alto, CA