Re: Strobes--was More Wiring for Dummies...

Ron Force (rforce@uidaho.edu)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 14:53:11 -0800

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com wrote:

> Ron,
>
> I don't know that I can agree with that - There are strong parallels
> between the navigational markings on boats and on aircraft. On
> aircraft the use of strobes is almost universal and their is no
> implication of distress.
>
> I think the association between strobes and distress among mariners is
> due to their use with man-overboard equipment. Strobes are, after all,
> an excellent beacon. But, do we approach every strobe we see under the
> assumption that there is someone in need attached to it?

The point was that current regulations and international agreements
don't allow them. Not following standards confuses the 5% of boaters
who know what the lights mean. :-)

The thread in rec.boats cruising was discussing the use of strobes to
mark singlehanded boats underway while the skipper sleeps. Professional
mariners on the list indicated that they would divert from their course
to see what the problem was, so if the point was traffic avoidance, the
strobe defeated the purpose. On the other hand, if strobes become just
another marker light, their use to indicate emergencies, MOB, etc.
becomes negated.
Ron Force rforce@uidaho.edu
Dean of Library Services (208) 885-6534
University of Idaho Moscow 83844-2350