Re: Lateen rig on p15

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:49:45 -0800

Gordon wrote:

> Larry, Lars, Steve, and I have all been enthusiastic about our lateen
> rigged Potters, except for Steve's disappointment in the light air
> performance.

That's right, but let me qualify it. The sail takes shape and moves the
boat "nicely" in even a breath of air. But to get hull speed, it's best
in 10 to 20 knots. San Diego is often around 5 kts. Even though the
boat moves well with good helm control, it is far from hull speed, and I
missed the additional sail area I could have had with my planned Chinese
Lug Rig, which never materialized because I decided to get a bigger boat
instead. If I were to continue sailing my Potter as is, with the sloop
rig and lateen rig option, I'd sail it with the lateen rig. More punch
for the effort, cost, complexity, etc.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri 16, #74,
and saleing a Potter 14, #561, in San Diego.
"Everything is everything!"
OLDSURFDUDE