Re: Sale on GPS (GM100) at REI

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:02:03 EST

In a message dated 12/27/98 5:52:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, Sebake writes:

> Judy, maybe I don't quite understand, but I wonder if the satellites are Y2K
> compliant. I just would feel better buying a GPS after the year 2000
> Wes
Hi Wes,

Sorry, I misunderstood your original questions. I couldn't tell you whether
the GPS satellite system is Y2K compliant. The GM100 unit should have no
problems.

I plan on using the GPS receiver for about 365+4=369 days before I worry about
it. It should work any fog I might hit on SF Bay at least til 12/31/99.
That's a whole year that I will be able to find my way home in fog. It's
worth the $300 to me.

I also still plan on using my compass and charts til then and afterwards! No
chips in my compass!

Besides, it may not be safe to take an elevator on 1/1/2000 -- it may think
that it's been a zillion years since it was serviced and decided to shut off.
Ot traffic lights may not work... or (horrors!) ATM machines! I'll worry
about the basics, like having some canned food, water stored and camping gear
at the ready.... I'm sure basic services will be fixed fairly quickly if they
fail...

Relax everybody, don't panic..... the world as we know it will survive.... If
not, oh well, I'll worry about it when it happens.

Just an starry-eyed optimist...

Judy Blumhorst, DC
WWP-19 #299 "Red Wing"
SF Bay, CA