Re: Foam Flotation

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:00:37 EST

In a message dated 1/5/99 5:40:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, kent@songbird.com
writes:

> I went through this calculation a while back, and concluded that the
> factory flotation on the P19 was marginal. But it is very hard to
> measure the actual volume used. Does anyone know of actual
> occurences of a potter sinking?

Kent,

Did you measure the foam in your boat? How much was in the bow, and how much
in the stern? Mine is too busted up to measure the foam in the bow, although
I could measure the foam below the cockpit.

I was planning on putting 32 or so cu.ft. in the bow alone. That's what IM
told me they put in the bow these days. There is approximately half again that
much under my cockpit floor (I'd have to go measure the foam under the
cockpit, my boat is at the marina).

45 cu.ft. x 64 lbs/cu.ft (for saltwater) = 2880 pounds will stay afloat due
just to the foam. The boat itself displace some volume which has to be added
to the volume of the (nearly) weightless foam to give you the total
displacement. If the boat another 10 cubic feet (that's not a real number,
just a "fer example") of material, then that's another 620-640# that will
float.

Am I thinking straight here?

These are very rough numbers. I use them for figuring cost to replace the
foam, not for the final design. I want to keep the cost affordable. Marine
foam from West's about $40/cu.ft., which isn't even in the ballpark for my
finances.

Judy B.