Re: Propane Fumes -- Was: Gel Cell or Sealed

DAVID_KAUTZ@HP-Sunnyvale-om5.om.hp.com
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:25:24 -0800

Subject: Re: Propane Fumes -- Was: Gel Cell or Sealed
Author: DAVID KAUTZ at HP-Sunnyvale,om5
Date: 1/6/99 8:57 AM

Judy,

The West Marine catalog has one of their "advice" columns that deals
pretty fairly with the different stove fuels. The basic risk with
propane is that it is heavier than air and will accumulate in the
bilge if there is a leak, a burner left on but not lit, etc.

Our friends that are cruising on their 50 footer converted from
alcohol to propane before they left - The propane is stored in a gas
tight compartment that has a dedicated vent overboard.

My personal opinion is that propane is safer than liquid petroleum
based fuels (white gas, Coleman fuel, kerosene, etc.) but not as safe
as alcohol. Alcohol is, however, an inferior fuel (takes longer to
boil water, less heat per volume of fuel).

Petroleum fuel fires require fire extinquishers to put them out (fuel
floats on water), alcohol fires can be put out with water (fuel is
missable in water).

I use an Origo 5100 "Heat Pal" stove/heater combination (alcohol) with
good results in both the P-15 and our VW camper. I have more
experience with a tiny (11 oz. including pots and pans) Swedish
alcohol stove I've used on bicycle camping trips that has worked
flawlessly - no pumps, no valves, no priming. Guess I'm an alcohol
convert.....

Hope this helps,

Dave Kautz
P-15 #1632 "Tilly Lucy".