Re: Bottom Paint

SolarFry@aol.com
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:04:07 EST

<< Subj: RE: Bottom Paint
Date: 99-01-07 12:39:03 EST
From: ej@tx3.com (Eric Johnson)
To: SolarFry@aol.com, wwpotter@tscnet.com (West Wight Potter Mail List)

> IMHO:
>
> After a week in water wax is completely gone and you will need to scrape
> bottom every other day to keep barnacles at bay. That includes
> the keel trunk.
> Overton's sells a slick wax for bottom that might help if you do
> not wish to
> paint bottom. Regular wax is useless. I've found that 100% pure
> carnauba wax
> works better than all the other concoctions except that stuff
> from Overton's.
>
> In Florida water you will grow lil barnacles in one week, in two weeks she
> will have fair sized barnacles, in three weeks she will have a
> full beard and
> edible oysters...
>
> The most you can sit in water without bottom paint is one
> weekend... Fri to
> Sun...
>
> If you trailer to Florida inspect & repack your trailer wheel bearings.
>
> If you must paint bottom and want antifouling paint to remain effective,
> after storage on trailer, launching or hauling out, you have to use a mud
> paint. Such as Petit ACP50 or Interlux Micron CSC extra. Epoxy
> Paints such as
> Trinidad and others lose effectivenes if out of the water for
> more than a few
> days. The moment you store your boat on a trailer for more than
> a week those
> paints lose effectiveness and become useless.

Wow! is the fouling THAT bad down there? Up here in the cold northwest I
wouldn't hesitate to leave my P19 in for weeks without paint. I had no idea
the fouling sets in so fast. I kept my boat for about 8 months in freshwater
with worn out bottom paint (the kind that loses effectiveness when hauled,
and it was hauled for months) and all I had to do was occasionally scrub the
undersides.

In Florida, freshwater storage does not have a problem with barnacles or
oysters. Grass is a problem with fresh water storage. That is, if you can find
freshwater... Most coastal cities have salty or brackish water up rivers,
halfway to Everglades. Salty or brackish water directly connected to ocean
combined with Florida's warm water make barnacles, oysters and grass a BIG
problem...

In my brackish water canal off the ICW barnacles will grow on boat by third
day. They Show as a grainy tightly packed and strongly attached sand on bottom
of boat. After 9 days they are nasty looking and the size of a pebble. Hard
work getting that stuff off after a week. I know...

Best
SF