Re: Genoa Track Location?

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:55:40 EST

jtietjen@bellsouth.net writes:

> I didn't order a genoa when I bought my P19 a year ago. I have since added
> a Flasher (a cruising spinnaker) that I originally ran to a block on the
> stern cleat. Recently I added a 4' track and mounted it along the outside
> of the cockpit coaming, vertically, with the forward end about a foot aft
of
> the chain plate, or about even with the IM mounted deck block. My plan is
> to be able to use the Flasher as a genoa as well as a spinnaker.

Tell us more! What is the shape of your Flasher? How does it differ from
the standard Genoa? How do you run the leads, particularly, can you run the
lead to the winch (if you have one and where is it and do you have cockpit
rails?)

What fabric did they make the Flasher from? Do you think it will hold up when
you use it as a genny? When you point into the wind, the apparent windspeed
is much higher, and the force on the sail is MUCH greater. (The force on the
sail is proportional to the square of the wind velocity -- that's why tiny
storm jibs like our "working" jib are typically made from heavier cloth than
larger jibs are)

I have read that a cruising spinnaker/Flasher isn't very good on a dead
downwind run. From what I've read, there is a trade off between
effectiveness on a broadreach vs a downwind run; if the sail is efficient for
dead downwind it's not that good at brad reaching and vice versa. What is
your experience?

[snipped]

> BTW, UK sailmakers made my Flasher and I love it.

I'm glad to hear that. UK is making my new mainsail and will be making my new
working jib later on in the spring. Which UK loft made your Flasher? Are
there any modifications you would recommend to someone ordering one?

> Jim Tietjen
> P19 #1015 SEVUSHKA (New name)
> Huntsville, AL

Judy Blumhorst, DC