Re: Floor/bilge

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:50:50 EST

In a message dated 1/15/99 9:31:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, ej@tx3.com
writes:

> I wonder if mine is hollow in there? I could bore out a spot behind the
> cabin ladder and put a bilge pump there.

After looking at Jerry B's boat, I am considering doing something similar to
what you suggest. Jerry's boat has a liner/floor pan, but his P-19 #48 came
with an 4" or 6" diameter inspection port under the carpet forward of the
ladder and behind the CB trunk (location approximate). On his boat, you can
just unscrew the cover and stick your pump hose in there. I think the best
place to cut the inspection post is over the lowest part of the skeg , so
that the water collects there when the hull is level on the trailer. That way
you can get all the water out when you get home. For mildew control and
preventing laminate infiltration (see my last post), you know....

If you get large volumes of water inside while sailing, you'll be okay as
long as you can get most of it out, so I don't think that picking the lowest
spot while sailing is critical.

> On the long list of boat projects is to put an electric bilge pump, and I
> was planning on mounting it the the aftmost part of the skeg beneath the
> cockpit drain. Theres a little pan there beneath the cockpit drain I'd have
> to remove though.

Hmm, that doesn't fit with my idea of pumping from the lowest part of the skeg
to get all of the water. The transom is noticably higher than the keel. But
the transom is definitely the best place if you want to install an automatic
pump for use while sailing. No stubbed toes and that space is not terribly
useful for anything else i've thought of yet. Maybe you can install your
electric pump back there and run a hose along the skeg to the lowest point to
suck the wate up from there???

Best regards,
Judy B.

Judith Blumhorst, DC