Mast Step Plate WAS Vang Attachment Hints

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:56:42 EST

In a message dated 1/15/99 3:29:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
TiffanyD@phibred.com writes:

> Am I correct in assuming that the plate you describe, or perhaps a larger
> modification of it, would be the place to attach the hardware necessary at
> the mast base to run all lines back to the cockpit?

Hi Doug,

Yup. it serves to provide a place to attach all the turning blocks for the
lines from the mast and mainsail. It has places to attach up to five blocks
on each side and one block (a vang most likely) just aft of the mastfoot.
I'll send you a scanned picture of it if you want to take a look at it. Let
me know.

Acutally, there are several sizes available at Svenson's Boat Yard where I
bought mine. Size small ($52) would probably fit all P-14/15's and most
standard P-19's> Older HMS-18's and P-19's like mine with the heavy duty mast
might need size medium ($63). The smaller one, if it fits, would be my first
choice, since the space is so limited on the cabin top.

Bruce the Rigger recommended using a Harken 183 blocks (500 pound load ) as
turning block for my P-19 main halyard for their strength, compact size, and
affordability (I paid $14 each for them). He recommended Harken block #166
(300 pound load rated) for everthing else (they're a few dollars less htan the
#183).

Judith Blumhorst, DC
HMS-18/P-19 Fleet Captain, Potter's Yachters
WWP-19 #266 "RedWing"
SF Bay, CA