P-15, flat sail for rough weather

CyrusWD@aol.com
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:39:44 EST

--part0_916601985_boundary

From: CyrusWD@aol.com
To: SolarFry@aol.com
Subject: Re: Attaching boom vang tackle
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:47:39 EST

To flatten a potter sail, I take three steps. First before even taking off
from the dock, I put a rope through the clew and around the boom and adjust
the sail down to the boom. Second I dead-end the outhaul line with a tight
knot to the clew outhaul, loop it through the clew and back again through the
clew outhaul. Then I put the outhaul line through the clamcleat, make a
bowline with half hitch and then continue the outhaul line around the mask,
making one more bowline with half-hitch. The line then goes through the first
bowline and then through the second bowline. The tail is left dangling down
with a large loop handle. This creates greater purchase and more convenience
when controlling the outhaul from the cockpit. By the way, my boom has been
replaced with a much stonger one than supplied from the factory. Finally I
tighten my boom vang. I have a sail that I can continue to adjust no mater
how rough the conditions are.

Cyrus Wind Dancer
P-15 #629

--part0_916601985_boundary--