Re: SANTA CATALINA SAIL?

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:55:06 -0800

Gordon wrote:

> I'm interested. From the posts so far, it looks like mid-July might be a
> good time. My boat and trailer will need some work first, so it is too
> early for me to commit.
>
> Where would you suggest launching from, and how long would you want to
> stay? If we can't go ashore, overnight on my old P14 will probably be more
> than long enough for me. My inclination would be to leave the mainland
> early one day to ensure arrival before dark, motor out until the wind comes
> up, sail to Avalon or an anchorage, and then return the next day. Those
> with (more comfortable) Potter 19s would probably be able to enjoy a longer
> stay. I could go on either a weekend or weekday. Possibly we could find
> moorings or slips at Avalon if we went on a weekday. More research is
> needed.
>
> Any other Potter 15 sailors interested? Potter 19s?

>From what I've heard, forget weekends in the summer, unless that's the
only time you can go. If you can't find a mooring, they are first come
first serve, you have to anchor and the rule is 2 anchors. What with
the deep water, miles of rode are also required. The dinghy dock in
Avalon has a 14 foot limit, so the older P-14's might qualify, mine says
14 on it's "docs," so I can prove it. I don't know if they would
actually let you stay there, though, and the foot traffic to dinghys,
day and night, might be like an LA freeway. The boat police are many
and active because of the huge volume. It's actually good because
without them, it would be like "WaterWorld," and the Potters might
lose. I haven't been there by boat, only by ferry, but the "Log" says
this stuff. I'll try to see if they have a website. They publish a
"Catalina" special edition early each summer, so I'll look for that,
too.

Count me in, in one of the 2 boats listed below. The 14 I could trailer
to the launch site, while the 16, much more comfortable, I would sail
from San Diego via Oceanside, over 2 days, and meet y'all there
somewhere, probably. Anywho, I'm starting planning now. My teenage son
might come, too. More later.

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a WWcaPri-16, #74,
and selling a WWP-14, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE