RE: Autohelm800

Dik Richardson (oldbandito@citlink.net)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:29:24 -0800

I have used an autopilot on Hamada for quite a while now and wouldn't be without one. I don't use the Autohelm, but use the Navico instead. I have it mounted to a wooden bracket on the rear face of the cockpit, and it connects to a dropped bracket on the tiller. I like it better than the wind vane steering setup, but I also have a large solar panel to keep the batteries charged.

Dik Richardson
HMS 18 #11 HAMADA

-----Original Message-----
From: George Sweet [SMTP:georges@carol.net]
Sent: Friday, January 22, 1999 7:24 AM
To: WWPOTTER Discussion
Subject: Autohelm800

<< File: ATT00003.html >> As noted in earlier posts the Autohelm 800 autopilot is on sale at several places. Question: has anyone installed one in a Potter 19. On reading the blurb in the West Marine cat. it appears they discourage the use of extensions but on measuring my boat it appears an extension may be needed as well as some sort of verticle adjuster. I think this may be a handy item for me as I single hand most of the time. Any help appreciated.

George Sweet
P-19 Sea Dove
Greenville,SC