Re: Gas Gensets WAS Re: Battery solution?

Storm Connors (stormc@iname.com)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 15:57:04 -0800

JBlumhorst@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/22/99 6:23:32 AM Pacific Standard Time, stormc@iname.com
> writes:
>
> > Thanks to Judy for her many posts and the growing technical website. I
> > got the Lowrance GPS from REI. In following her link to the Trailer
> > Dolly at http://www.harborfreight.com/index.html I found a tiny 350 watt
> > generator.
> > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35286
> > At 13 pounds and $180 it seems a better approach than an backup battery
> > if you plan a multiday cruise. Should also be usable around the
> > homestead.
> > Storm- Balboa 20, no Potter
>
> Hi Storm (is that your name or the boat's?),
>
> Just remember that gas generators generate carbon monoxide. The national
> association of boat builders (whatever their name is) no longer puts gas
> gensets into cruisers. Only diesel genset -- because they produce less CO.
>
> People die every year on their boats from CO poisoning - either from their own
> genset or when they're rafted up next to somebody else. You can use a gas
> genset, but please do it safely.
>
> Never, Never, Never run your gas genset when yo sleep. Never, Never, Never.
> Please, Please, Please!
>
> For a discussion on CO poisoning, go to www.dejanews.com and do a search on
> "CO", "Carbon monoxide" in the rec.boats.cruising newsgroup. Set the time
> interval for about three months and you'll get a ton of threads.
>
> Also check out the US Coast Guard Safe Boating website for a bare bones
> discussion at
> http://www.uscgboating.org/index1.html
>
> Regards,
> Judy B
I'm a volunteer fireman, and have been trained in the dangers. There is
some damage from lower levels of CO than we thought were hazardous. One
of the biggest problems the FD has is false alarms from the meters.
Anyway, the big hazard of CO is that it is odorless. This should not be
a problem with the 2 cycle engine as the CO will be well marked with
exhaust fumes. I'd only be running the thing outside, so the only
problem would be a wind over the stern blowing exhaust down the
companionway-which would be evident. I certainly wouldn't sleep with it
running anyway.

I suspect the gensets being diesel on the bigger boats is because they
only want one fuel supply. They use diesels because of the irrational
phobia surrounding gasoline. Somewhat the same nonsense that caused the
use of alcohol stoves. I watched a guy set his boat afire while starting
his alcohol stove - twice! Yes it can be put out with water. The smell,
danger, and lack of heat content outweighs these.

Anyway, my genset will use same fuel as propulsion- 2 cycle fuel. Just
like the big guys. Actually my propulsion is by wind, so I should get a
windmill!

Rambled enough,
Storm