Re: Potential WWP 19 Buyer

Charlton Bryan McNutt (charlton-b@cyberhouse.org)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:38:41 -0800

Tom,

Our first boat I think now four years ago was a Potter 19. We bought it new
and sold it after a year for a Catalina 250. Last year in February I bought a
Potter 15 adding to my fleet : ). Many others no doubt will have multi boat
experience and will also reply. Here are my thoughts.

We really liked the P19. It gave a sense of ruggedness and can-do for a small
boat. It pulled behind my 4 cylinder Toyota pickup like it wasn't there. It
launched in a heavy dew, although retrieval required a couple more inches. As
a neophyte I sailed it way overpowered with a 150% gennie and main in 20-25
knots and (luckily) didn't have to swim. I did realize I was having some
control anxieties. On the downside was inside room. I am 6 foot and 205
pounds. The aft quarter berths were not suitable if I wanted to turn over,
much less sleep with my wife. The foretriangle berth worked out well once we
added a spacer around the mast compression post, although I could see that, at
50, the maneuverability required to get into and out of it might become more
effort with time. The ladies like a head with a door, and there is not one.
There isn't really room to sit and stretch your legs and read a book in case
of inclement weather. All that said, I think that if I were to have just one
boat, didn't plan trips over a week on the boat or didn't do much anchoring,
and trailering was highly desirable, the P19 is way up there on the list in
boat per dollar.

We got the Catalina 250 mainly because my wife wanted more room and the head
with a door, still a porta potti. We had to buy a bigger truck, but with a
GMC 4WD small V8 it tows without anxiety through Seattle daytime traffick (we
live in southern Oregon, but sometimes go to the San Juans.) A comparison
boat for you is made by Hunter, I think they call it the 260. Catalina owners
have the kind of brand loyalty that Potter owners do. Probably Hunter owners
are similar. We think that within the design limitations of a water ballast
boat, the C250 is a good sailing boat, good quality rigging and construction
for the dollar. It is much more spacious than the P19 both in the cockpit and
the cabin, and extended periods can be spent lounging below, although ballroom
dancing is a bit difficult due to the non-standing headroom. The comparable
Hunter has six foot standing headroom, I believe. Differences in subjective
appraisal seem to be the major factors. Being a longer boat, it is
significantly faster than the P19. On the downside, the Catalina is more
effort to rig and unrig, although I can do it alone, requires a larger tow
vehicle, is more problematic towing through traffick and, at 8 1/2 foot beam,
is of dubious legality on some roads, bigger boats require disproportionately
increased maintenance, has a 20 inch rather than a 6 inch draft with board
up--a factor for beaching and launching, although we haven't found it to be a
major one, and it costs more to acquire and maintain.

Were I single or primarily single handing, I probably would go with the P19.
If I routinely sailed with more than two people aboard, especially kids, I
would want the C250. If I wanted to trailer back country roads to dubious
quality launching sites, I would feel more confident in the P19. Although we
have crossed the Strait of Georgia in 30 kt winds in the Catalina, I think I
might feel more confident of survival in an extreme situation with the P19.
If you want room to really stretch your legs, the bigger boat is better. If
you want to put the thing in your garage... Anyway, you get the drift. I got
the P15 because I wanted a little cabin cruising boat that was simple and
quick to rig and single hand for those lazy weekend days that I didn't want to
invest a lot of effort, but might want to spent the night, fish or swim from.
The P19 was not much more trouble and roomier by far.

Bryan McNutt