RE: New Trailer (WAS Re: Potential WWP 19 Buyer)

Tiffany, Doug (TiffanyD@phibred.com)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:57:47 -0600

All:

Baja Trailer is not arranged to allow CB to rest but it could be
very easily modified with a support beam attached between the
sides above the axle. I would want to make sure that you weren't
trading off weighting the cabin roof with lateral forces of some kind
on the CB trunk.

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Gort [mailto:gort@eskimo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 3:03 PM
To: JBlumhorst@aol.com
Cc: rich@gorts.com; wwpotter@tscnet.com
Subject: Re: New Trailer (WAS Re: Potential WWP 19 Buyer)

Judy,

I, for one, would love to hear more once you actually get it and use it
once or twice. I owned a Calkins for a 22' Glassply powerboat (a very
heavy boat) in a previous life and was very happy with it.

I will be replacing an old Dilly (guess it was standard equipment sometime
in the 70's) and (like your husband) refuse to take the boat anywhere
until it is replaced.

My gut feeling is to go with the biggest trailer with the biggest tires
that will fit the P-19 and that I can get without brakes. My tow
vechicles are a Town & Country Van with towing package (never buy any
vechicle without the towing package) capacity 3500 lbs and a F-150 with
the trailer package capacity more than I ever want to tow. It must be
galvanized (use it in puget sound) but really don't want the hassle of
brakes. I understand 3000 lbs gross is the limit before brakes are
required in Washington...assume similar rules in other states. Seems that
most trailers with gross rating of over 3000 lbs are only available with
brakes.

I really like the idea of being able to rest the CB on the trailer for
trailering. Even the old Dilly had that capability. It must rest on the
frame tho, not the axle, and most of the trailers I have seen..Calkins
included, would have to be modified (added to) to manage that. I wonder
what the rest of the group thinks about the necessity (or desireability)
of resting it on the trailer.

I'm hoping to make a decision pretty soon...I have been missing out on a
lot of sailing fun because of my distrust of the old trailer..don't want
that to continue. All disussion of P-19 trailer solutions would be
appreciated. I have talked to IM about their Baja trailer, and while the
price seemed OK, they wanted a fortune to ship it up to Western
Washington. Maybe I need to plan a driving trip to S. Calif. Could
someone who owns the Baja tell us if it is arranged to rest the CB?

Rich Gort
P-19 #202 SAYOKO
Lake Stevens, WA

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 JBlumhorst@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/26/99 10:02:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
gort@eskimo.com
> writes:
>
> > Judy,
> >
> > Could you tell us a little more about the Calkins trailer you decided
on
> > for your P-19. Exactly which model..and any modifications that were
> > needed to make it fit. Are you able to rest the keel on it while
> > trailering? I'm very interested in replacing the trailer for my P-19
and
> > am very interested in the possible options.
> >
> > Rich Gort
> > P-19 #202 SAYOKO
> > Lake Stevens, WA
> >
> Hi Rich,
>
> We don't acutally have the trailer yet. It better come in soon, because
my
> husband says he won't go sailing with me till we get a new trailer. There
are
> no side guides on our old trailer and it's set up all wrong everywhere.
It's
> a pain in the you-know-what.
>
> We're waiting for one part (the optional swing tonge) to arrive. It's due
in
> this week. it's a new option for 1999, so your local Caulkins dealer may
or
> may not know it's available.
>
> We're getting a galvanized Caulkins CN1618 with full length sides guides,
> tongue jack, swing tongue, and tall bow stop (so we can use the trailer
winch
> for raising the mast like Jerry B does.) Also, maybe we can design a way
> hang the outboard off the bowstop while trailering rather than putting it
in
> the van. (Jerry did that to his trailer; it's slick)
>
> The specs are:
> Payload from 1700-2400#, depending on wheich axle you choose
> Tires ST174/80D13
> Width Inner fender 78", outer fender 92"
> Overall length 18.8'
> Approx weight 459-530 depending on the axles.
>
> The swing tongue changes the overall length of the trailer.
>
> The trailer dealer will take care of all the details of fitting the boat.
It