Re: Kick up rudder

SolarFry@aol.com
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:33:05 EST

In a message dated 1/28/99 2:05:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JBlumhorst@aol.com writes:

<< Subj: RE: Kick up rudder
Date: 1/28/99 2:05:32 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: JBlumhorst@aol.com
To: graphcom@whidbey.com, wwpotter@tscnet.com
In a message dated 1/28/99 10:45:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
graphcom@whidbey.com writes:

> Really, I think the whole kickup rudder concept needs to be objectively
> considered by each sailor. Do you really use it? And is it really worth
all
> that complexity hanging off the back of the boat, much of it in the water?
>
> G'luck,
>
> Tom
> P19 #352 Windsong
> Whidbey Island, WA

I'm with you on this one. Probably I ought to get a solid one piece blade
and
use that as my primary rudder on the Bay. I only need the beaching rudder
for
occassional trips to lakes.

For now, the kick up rudder with have to do, thought, I have many other
important things to spend my Boat Bucks on.

Judy B

IMHO:
Why don't you just tighten the pivot bolts, drill a 1/16 hole through aluminum
flaps and lower blade. Then slip an aluminum pin through hole to keep lower
blade fully extended... ( I use an aluminum rivet pin) Saves on a new rudder
and keeps it from lifting plus if you hit something really solid that would
pull your gudgeons off the boat it will only bend or bust the aluminum pin and
allow the blade to lift saving the rudder...

SF
PS my rudder blade is one solid wood piece not laminates.