Re: Pee hose on outboards

Steven W. Barnes (oldsurfdude@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 03 Feb 1999 16:56:09 -0800

Christopher A. Chung wrote:

> It still didn't flow
> properly so I took some monel wire to every orifice related to the cooling
> system that I could reach. This includes two holes inside the cooling
> jacket that were accessible when when the thermostat is removed and the pee
> hose itself.
>
> Surprise, a steady stream of water now comes out the pee hole. Apparently,
> the salt and scale was clogging something up. The engine now gets properly
> cooled and I have peace of mind.

I got my Nissan 3.5 pee hole cleaned out today. The hose was fine, but
the fitting it connected to was plugged. It has a really small diameter
hole in it. It looks just like a grease fitting, inside and out. I
rammed wire in and out of it for a while. :)
The only thing that came out looked like dried salt water, but I guess
thats all it takes for a small hole, about 1/16" diameter. I then ran
the motor in a barrel of fresh water for 10 minutes to flush it good and
dissolve as much salt as possible. Everything is fine now. It pees
like champ.

Note to self, "occasionally watch pee hole while running engine."

:)

Steve Barnes sailing a Capri-16, #74, no name yet,
and selling a WWP-14, Popeye, #561, in San Diego.
OLDSURFDUDE