Re: Recommended Motor Shaft Length (HMS18)

SolarFry@aol.com
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:54:19 EST

Y'all:

Instructions on outboards assume you will use them on
a small pram or aluminum powerboat not on sailboat.
For a P19 you should at least get long shaft. I recommend
extra long shaft

My 8HP Nissan long shaft outboard prop leaves water
(motor races) when I enter Hillsboro inlet from ocean with
waves 4 - 6'. That is, with bracket lowered all the way down.
I am sorry I did not get Extra long shaft or alternator at
time of purchase. I got without alternator then ordered it
from Nissan for $275 with diode/resistor. They do have
an electric starter option if you are interested. You should
order the Nissan 8 with all the bells and whistles so you
don't have to add after purchase. I do not think you need
the starter but the alternator built in from factory is a must.
I would have saved $150 if I had bought it installed from
factory.

All comments on 8 HP apply to 6 HP also...

Good luck
Solar Fry
P19 #1028, "Elusive Margin"
Pompano Beach, FL