Re: lapper used at CLOSE HAULED, fully unrolled.

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:15:50 EST

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the clarification. But a few more questions that several of us
"techies" are wondering about:

1) With the lapper fully unfurled and close hauled, exactly what happens to
your boat? Does she stall, or try to turn the bow upwind (weather helm) or
try to turn the bow downwind (lee helm)? What strength wind conditions are
you sailing in when this happens?

2) Do you know what the dimensions of your Sailrite lapper? Is it the same as
the IM ones that I described in a previous posting?

RE your question about the UV edge cover: I doubt from you description that
you got an UV edge cover on your furling sail. It would be made of a separate
piece of different cloth 4-8" wide, sewn (or glued which is not as nice) along
the foot and leech of the sail. The idea is that the cloth is "sacrificial"
-- when it rots from UV exposure, you can replace it cheaply and the rest of
the sail is not damaged. If you leave your sail out in the sun when it's
stored, you can have one put on by a sailmaker. Around SF Bay, it costs about
$75US to do this. If your sail is stored out of the sun most of the time, you
don't need to worry (and you don't need the extra weight on the edge of the
sail)

When I talked to Sailrite about building me a sail, the UV edge cover was
optional (read: more money). They use a fabric called "Insignia", which is a
lite-weight UV material sewn along the edge of the sail; Ithink they usually
use white Insignia.

Regards,
Judy B.