Re: mast raising system

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Sat, 06 Feb 1999 13:04:10 -0500

Jim,

IMHO whether you need the mast raising system depends on three things:

(1) how tall are you?
(2) how agile are you?
(3) do you do it alone?

I am 5' 6 3/4" tall in shoes. When I pickup the mast when standing in the
cockpit I can NOT step up to the seats and raise the mast straight up, therefore
it tends to fall one way or the other pulling me with it. I have tried it, and
won't again.

I don't do it alone. I tie a line to the jib halyard, wrap it twice around the
top rail of the pulpit and have someone hold the line from in front of the
boat. I lift, they pull in the slack. I step up and lift, they pull in the
slack. Then I can stand it up and attach the forestay.

If I were taller (read vertically enhanced <?> and more agile (read younger <G>)
I could probably grab the mast, leap up to the cockpit seats, vault to the
cabintop while singing Yo Ho Ho (and after drinking the Bottle of Rum).

Seriously, some may find it easy to do it alone without the system, but it "all
depends". I think you can make a rational decision based on those three things.

Ted Duke
WWPs19 #626
Mountains of Virginia