Re: mast raising system

Gordon (hlg@pacbell.net)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 15:27:23 -0800

Ted Duke wrote:

>I don't do it alone. I tie a line to the jib halyard, wrap it twice
>around the
>top rail of the pulpit and have someone hold the line from in front of the
>boat. I lift, they pull in the slack. I step up and lift, they pull in the
>slack. Then I can stand it up and attach the forestay.

Ted:

Would you be able to do that singlehanded if the jib halyard were routed
through a block on the pulpit and back to you so that you could do both the
pulling and lifting? I seem to recall someone was using such a method
successfully. Or would you require three or four hands to do it that way? A
camcleat at the block could hold the line between pulls.

I don't have a P19 yet so don't have any personal experience with the process.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA