Re: mast raising system

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:09:13 EST

In a message dated 2/6/99 5:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, hlg@pacbell.net
writes:

> Would you be able to do that singlehanded if the jib halyard were routed
> through a block on the pulpit and back to you so that you could do both the
> pulling and lifting? I seem to recall someone was using such a method
> successfully. Or would you require three or four hands to do it that way? A
> camcleat at the block could hold the line between pulls.

Harry,

It may have been I who described such an arrangement in a prior email. The
halyard runs from the top of the mast, though a block attached to the pulpit,
and back to the companion way. I use a winch mounted on top of my cabintop to
winch the mast up.

However, I have trouble getting the mast started the first foot or so. If my
mast were lighter (I have a heavy-duty mast that weighs much more than the
newer versions and a CDI furler on it), I could stand there and lift the mast
a foot or two and crank on the winch with one hand. My first and only mate
David lifts it about two feet above the crutch as I work the winch, and then I
take it from there. I can bring it down safely and slowly by myself.

Judy B.

Judith Blumhorst, DC
HMS18/P19 Fleet Cap'n, Potters Yachters
1985 WWP #266 "Red Wing"