Re: Mast Rake and Bend

JBlumhorst@aol.com
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:08:08 EST

In a message dated 2/8/99 12:02:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
david_kautz@hp.com writes:

> On the placement of shrouds, the text I looked through recently
> (_Understanding Rigs and Rigging_) indicated that the minimum angle for
> place placing shrouds aft of the mast in a "3 wire" setup is 5 degrees
> when viewed from the side. This is half the minimum value used for
> shrouds when viewed from the bow. The use of spreaders is recommended
> when mast height or narrow beam does not allow the 10 degree min. angle
> to be maintained. I know that on the P-15 the shrouds are placed
> adequately aft to ensure in excess of 5 degress, is this not the case on
> the P-19?

Hi Guys,

To set the record straight and check my facts --

I was just out at our P19 and I eyeballed the angle between where the shrouds
attach to the chainplate and the maststep. Using a cheap plastice protractor
and a straightedge and my eye (no precision measurements) , they are attached
about 15 to 20 degrees aft of the mast step, not directly outboard as I
claimed earlier... Interesting hmmm?

Judy B