Re: Mast Rake and Mast Bend - Part 1 (WAS potter 19 backstay)

Ted Duke (tedduke@usa.net)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:03:14 -0500

Tom, Judy and gang,

I have been reading the backstay messages for over a year, used to wonder how it was done since my boom hangs over the transom. Then I found out I have a SHORT mast (ohhhh ! ). Figured I didn't need a backstay with a short mast (what do I know?).

Then I read about running backstays and decided there are already too many things in or around the cockpit. I don't want to race, although I love to watch those that do, just like to sail along in the quiet...............(except for the occasional roar of a cigarete boat--<G>)

I don't know at what windspeed my short potter will scandalize the jib on it's own, but too much wind is seldom the problem where I sail, and besides by then I will probably have chickened out cranked up the outbaord (what's that noise) and headed for shelter.

With a short mast it would probably take more tension to bend the mast and I don't want to compress my deck into my pimpled hull <YUK>. Oh the decisions of life! Oh heck, I'll just continue to hope the wind will blow enough to get me where I want to go or at least someplace, and if it blows too hard I'll scurry back to port with my smoke maker.

Now if I were sailing in SF Bay I'd probably rig running backstays (or maybe I could talk Judy into doing it for me <BG>).

Now if anyone can figure a really good way to eliminate the compression post count me in on that retrofit. Judy?

Gang, this was an attempt at humor in case it wasn't obvious! I am not knocking anyone's ideas. I say "whatever floats your boat, so to speak".

Ted Duke
WWPs-19
Mountains of Virginia

"I hope there is as much warm weather and wind in April and May as there has been in January and February"]