P19 Short/long mast backstay solution?

SolarFry@aol.com
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:07:12 EST

In a message dated 2/10/99 9:07:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, Thomas Grimes
writes:

<< > Judy

> But what about the P-19's with the short rig--I seem to remember that the
boom on the short rig is longer and actually hangs out over the stern. A
fixed backstay wouldn't work if the boom extended out over the stern, but
running backstays would, and they would give the mast the extra stability that
it needs. It would also pull back enough to keep the jib luff tighter.
> Tom Grimes
> P-14 #363 Far Horizon
> Muncie, Indiana

I have a newer P19 (98) and have been searching for a solution to backstay
problem because I have a 9'6" boom. I believe an arc welding shop could weld
an extension piece on top of existing masthead to add a purchase for backstay
for about 20 bucks. The only reason I would go to a backstay is to straighten
that luff on Lapper. It currently makes a cute arch even though I have shrouds
as tight as can be...

Solution to a short mast is provided by McGregor 26 sailboat backstay
installed jutting out 18" behind boat on a pole that leads it back to transom.
The turnbuckle is located between the 18" ss pole and an eyebolt 18" lower
stuck into transom.

Now getting a production masthead that will take a backstay for your mast is
another thing...

bEsT
Solar Fry